The Youth Director will provide leadership for ministry with the K-12th grade youth of First Lutheran Church and collaborate with educational programs such as Sunday School and Confirmation.
“Having fun with kids through God’s Grace”.
- An eligible candidate must be an adult (21 years of age or older) who has demonstrated relational abilities with youth and parents and a lively Lutheran faith, ELCA
- A satisfactory background check must be completed and eligible candidates must agree to comply with the Child
- Give evidence of a vital personal relationship to Christ as Lord.
- Articulate faith journey to others especially youth.
- Give evidence of an understanding and acceptance of the teachings of the Lutheran Church.
- Desirable that the person have previous experience, reflecting cooperative spirit in work atmosphere.
- Have the ability to be flexible in scheduling work hours.
- Must be available for monthly Youth Committee meetings and weekly staff meetings or have a specific plan of communication with office staff on a regular basis.
- Developing caring and supportive relationships with youth with God at the center
- Planning and implementing activities for youth that nurture their continuing life in the community of faith, affirm God’s love for each person, build community, demonstrate generosity through service, and offer opportunities for fellowship and fun
- Encouraging youth and parents to participate fully in the life and ministry of the congregation
- Communicating events and programming with staff, youth and parents
- Recruit volunteers as needed for youth activities
- Be a visible presence in the worshiping community on a regular basis Sunday morning
The Youth Director shall be responsible for the following programs:
- FLY (First Lutheran Youth) K-12th grade after school, Wednesday programing and special events, in consideration of school calendars and other community activities
- Youth Committee meetings
- Ensure Council representation monthly by Youth Committee members
- Lead and organize youth fundraising events
- Develop programming in collaborate with Sunday School Superintendent and Senior Pastor
- Chaperone overnight youth retreats
- Write monthly articles for the church newsletter and communications to staff, teachers, and families
The Youth Director, a member of the staff, shall be responsible to the Senior Pastor and report weekly. Accountable to Church Council, Youth Committee, and through them to the congregation.
Hours and Compensation
- As a part time employee of the congregation, the Youth Director will work an average or 10 hours per week/12 months per year, including Sunday mornings.
- This position is not eligible for health care or retirement benefits
- Work expenses will be reimbursed according to congregational policy and as approved by the Youth Committee/Pastor or Director of Operations
The Youth Director is an “at will” employee of the congregation. Employment may be terminated for any reason.