Senior Technology & Data Specialist
The Senior Technology and Data Specialist manages all areas of information technology and data analytics for West Central Initiative. This position is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the organization’s digital environment to ensure timely internal record keeping and data reporting for internal and external purposes. This position also provides guidance and recommendations for the organization’s hardware, software, and digital security needs.
The Senior Technology and Data Specialist:
- Develops and maintains the business intelligence analytics platform, including establishing procedures and protocols for data entry and retrieval.
- Recommends and supports the day-to-day analytic needs of development and planning teams.
- Works with staff to ensure accurate data and records for timely internal and external reporting purposes.
- Delivers insights and recommendations to help stakeholders and board members better understand the organization’s performance to support strategic and tactical decisions and to improve outcomes.
- Actively participates in implementation and measurement of recommendations to monitor performance and impact.
- Reviews and maintains information technology-related contracts.
- Provides backup to the development and planning teams in outcomes reporting.
- Maintains confidential data in accordance with appropriate state and federal regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Data Analytics, Statistics, or other related field.
To perform this job successfully, the Senior Technology and Data Specialist should have the abilities and strong working knowledge of:
- Technology and data principles, including confidentiality and ethics.
- Customer Relationship Management software.
- Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, OneDrive, and others.
- Project management practices, including the ability to organize work, set priorities, follow up on assignments, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion principles and practices.
To perform the job successfully, the Senior Technology and Data Specialist should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully, develops alternative solutions, works well in group problem solving situations, uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans, coordinates projects, communicates changes and progress, completes projects on time and budget, manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses, pursues training and development opportunities, strives to continuously build knowledge and skills, shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, maintains confidentiality, listens to others without interrupting, keeps emotions under control, remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, listens and gets clarification, responds well to questions, demonstrates group presentation skills, participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively, edits work for spelling and grammar, varies writing style to meet needs, presents numerical data effectively, reads and interprets written information.
- Intellectual and Analytical Curiosity – Takes the initiative to dig into the “why” of various results and a desire to grow responsibility and become a domain expert and strategic thought leader.
The following characteristics are preferred, but not required, for this position:
- Experience living in, working with, and/or serving rural communities.
- Written and verbal communication skills in a second language are highly valued, though not required for this position.
- Interest in, and commitment to, sustainable development principles, especially as they relate to the geography served by West Central Initiative.
Alignment with Core Values
The Senior Technology and Data Specialist understands, supports, and executes the organization’s strategic plan and aligns work with the organization’s four core values:
Neighborliness arises out of a strong belief that our interconnectedness is crucial to our long-term viability. Town to town, county to county, organization to organization, and certainly person to person, the fabric of our region depends on cooperation, appreciation, openness, and generosity.
Generosity is a dimension of neighborliness, but it flies higher over the region because it speaks to a willingness to embrace a common good that can only be achieved through collective action, through everyone giving of their time, talent, and treasure.
Empowerment in our current context is directed both internally and externally. We encourage both our staff and our fellow citizens to be a part of bold action in our region, and to develop and use power to a good end.
Trend-testing is a dimension of that bold action. We learn from one another while we work together to solve problems. We will embrace risk and learn from our mistakes, always.
The Senior Technology and Data Specialist must possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license and occasionally work outside the normal business day (evening meetings, some travel).
This position may work remotely, onsite at our headquarters in Fergus Falls, or a combination of the two.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and employee will also perform other reasonably-related job duties as assigned by the Director of Strategic Communications.
WCI reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or mail it to PO Box 318, Fergus Falls, MN, 56538-0318. The deadline to apply is October 4.