The Fergus Falls Area Chamber of Commerce is seeking a self-motivated individual to work in our vibrant, active office as a Marketing/Communications Intern for Summer 2019. This position is open to college students and high school graduates pursuing post-secondary education in: Communications, Business, Marketing, Public Relations, Sales, Management, Entrepreneurship and Hospitality. Interested candidates should send a Letter of Interest (including reason interested in working at a Chamber) and Resume by April 5, 2019 to Lisa Workman, Fergus Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, 202 S. Court St., Fergus Falls, MN 56537 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The internship is a paid, part-time position, approximately 16-20 hours/week from mid-May to mid-August.
- Develop marketing, promotions, advertising and public relations to enhance the Chamber’s Goals: “Be the Resource Center for Small Businesses” and “Engage and Connect Small Business Members.”
- Execute recommendations from board-led communications audit.
- Work with the Chamber Board’s Communications Team to redefine our brand, image and communications to members and the general public.
- Assist with development and promotion of a new workshop, “Chamber 101,” an instructional session to lead members in maximizing their membership benefits.
- Enhance marketing and promotional efforts for “Shop, Move ‘n Groove” – the Chamber’s one-day, downtown event featuring music, shopping and family activities on Thursday, July 11, 2019.
- Enhance communications, marketing and branding for the Chamber’s YPN – Young Professionals Network – professional development and networking.
- Excellent written and verbal communication: Proficient knowledge of the English language, grammar, spelling and writing are essential.
- Marketing proficiency using social media platforms.
- Strong people skills and customer service experience.
- Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Publisher, Outlook, Excel.
- Graphic design, digital photography, videography and editing skills are essential.
- Attributes: positive attitude, highly organized, ability to work independently, attention-to-detail, team player, friendly, task-oriented, fast learner, able to prioritize, community oriented, adaptable
The intern will be interacting with the community on a regular basis. This may include answering phones, assisting walk-in customers (tourists and residents) who need general community information, directions, and many other services. Interns will be exposed to the multi-tasking nature of a “busy” office and the importance of time management. As in any office setting, unforeseen projects come up. Everyone is expected to help with any tasks, projects and the like. Interns will be not only working with Chamber staff, but also our board of directors, committees and other organizations that collaborate with the Chamber. A team effort is expected and is part of the optimal working environment. Our intern must present a professional image of the Chamber and Fergus Falls by maintaining a positive attitude, keeping abreast of the Chamber’s and community’s activities, supporting Chamber members and keeping a neat, orderly work space.
The Chamber hosts many events and tasks include set-up and tear-down of events, displays and routine clean-up. General knowledge will be gained regarding event promotion, management, and customer care during events. Physical requirements of this position may require sitting for longer periods of time, standing, walking (including up and down stairs), ability to lift and distribute boxes/supplies weighing more than 20 pounds occasionally.
The Chamber office is open Monday-Friday from 8am–5pm. Some events run beyond these hours, and may be off-site, resulting in the need for flexibility. A schedule will be determined with the intern and staff. Interns must provide their own transportation. Interns report directly to the President who will prepare evaluations with input from staff, committees, and board members. Interns, like our staff, are asked to dress in a professional manner, appropriate for the weather and working conditions in and out of the office. Just as we look for a professional outward appearance, a general positive personality is required.
The Fergus Falls Area Chamber of Commerce is a membership-based, private, non-profit organization that serves as the lead advocate and resource for its members. We create partnerships that foster a healthy business climate and host fun networking and fundraising events. belong. connect. succeed. www.FergusFalls.com