What You Need to Know to Run for Public Office
Interested In Running for Public Office?
What you should Know
Elections are November 6, 2018
City of Fergus Falls
- One person from each ward will be elected. Those up for
re-election are: Ward One: Darren Appert (Ward One), Scott Rachels (Ward Two), Justin Arneson (Ward Three) and Rod Spidahl (Ward Four). City Council terms are for four years.
In addition to serving as an elected official for the City, there is also a need for volunteers to serve as election judges in each of the four wards. Training is provided. If interested, please contact Lynne Olson, 218-332-5404, Lynne.Olson@ci.Fergus-Falls.mn.us.
School District 544 School Board
- Meetings are held monthly on the first and third Mondays at 5:30 p.m. (except in the event of a holiday). Committee of the Whole meetings are held Wednesday preceding the council meetings at 7:00 a.m.
- Preparation time and availability to meet with constituents varies. Attending community events, managing correspondence (generally via e-mail), phone calls are all obligations that come with the offices.
- Council members are provided with an e-mail address for City business.
- Training is provided through work sessions and the League of Minnesota Cities.
- Monthly council salary is $650.
- For questions or further information contact Lynne Olson, 218-332-5404, Lynne.Olson@ci.Fergus-Falls.mn.us.
- Filing is open from July 31-August 14 and applications will be available in City Hall (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) or online at www.ci.Fergus-Falls.mn.us.
- Three school board members will be elected. This year, those up for re-election are: Missy Hermes,
Blaine Danielson and Melanie Cole.
- School Board terms are for four years.
- Meetings are held the second and fourth Monday monthly (with a few exceptions) at 5:15 p.m.
- Each school board member also attends special board meetings, work sessions, committee meetings, retreats and the MN School Board Assn Conference.
- Preparation time varies. Attending school events, managing correspondence, phone calls are all obligations that come with the position.
- Training is provided by the MN School Board Association. General knowledge of school operations (state/federal funding, building/grounds, curriculum and education programs) is beneficial.
- Monthly salary for school board members if $450 which covers specific meetings and conferences.
Any meetings outside of the basic salary conditions will be paid at $25/hour.
Otter Tail County
- For questions or further information contact Elaine Jahnke (election clerk), 218-998-0544 x9010, EJahnke@FergusOtters.org or the current school board chair, Melanie Cole MCole@FergusOtters.org.
- Filing is open from July 31-August 14. Interested candidates must fill out an affida.vit of candidacy at the Superintendent's Office located at the Kennedy Secondary School - 601 Randolph Avenue, Fergus Falls MN. The office is open Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. ˗ 4 p.m. There is a $2 filing fee. Filing information will be available on the district’s website www.ISD544.org.
- The following County staff positions are up for election: County Attorney, Auditor/Treasurer, Recorder and Sheriff. None of the commissioners who represent Fergus Falls on the County Board are up for reelection this year. The County filing period is May 22-June 5. For more information call Wayne Stein or Vi Manderud, 218-998-8030.
Or check the County web site at www.co.OtterTail.mn.us