Summer Day Camp Counselor
Job Title: Day Camp Counselor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Seasonal (Summer)
Reports to: Youth and Family Director
Under the direction of the Youth and Family Director and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA, the Day Camp Counselor will provide direct supervision of a group of up to 14 children and will be responsible for activities with the group as well as with other groups during the camp program.
1. Supervises a group of children and ensures the well-being and safety of all campers in group.
2. Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA Values.
3. Attends all pre-camp staff training sessions and all staff meetings.
4. Cares for and maintain camp equipment, supplies and property used by the group.
5. Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards. Assist with set up and clean up before and after each camp day as needed.
6. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
7. Maintains positive relationships with campers, parents, camp staff, and other YMCA staff. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
8. Upholds policies and philosophy; use character development as a basis in working with both campers and other staff members.
9. Assists Youth and Family Coordinator as requested in relation to Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA Summer Day Camp.
10. Enthusiastically participates in multiple activities with the campers.
Values: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
Inclusion: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions.
Relationships: Builds rapport and relates to others.
Communication: Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively.
Decision-Making: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Change Capacity: Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process.
Emotional Maturity: Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities over any Y Staff.
Day Camp is held in a variety of environments. These include the Y’s gymnasium, local hiking trails, outdoor parks, and other indoor and outdoor environments. All day camp staff will encounter uneven walking conditions and a variety of weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
1. Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff
2. Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
3. Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques
4. Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and camper and staff behavior
5. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
6. Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
7. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
8. Operates with daily exposure to the sun and heat and exposure to various animals, plants, and environmental conditions
9. Occasionally sit, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
The Day Camp Counselor position is a seasonal position.
Travel is not required by staff.
Required Education and Experience
1. Must be at least 16 years of age.
2. Able to accompany campers to main program areas, lead small and large group activities, supervise campers’ participation in structure and unstructured activities, demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of campers served, interact appropriately with campers and staff in all types of situations, appropriately model behavior and use of positive behavior management techniques.
3. Able to assist campers in emergency (fire, severe weather, injury, etc.)
4. Must have enthusiasm, patience, creativity, common sense and a commitment to work with children and ability to build relationships with people
5. Ability to interact with all age levels
6. Must be able to obtain or become certified in First Aid, CPR, AED within 30 days of hire.
The Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Welcome New Members: