Job Title: Custodian
FT or PT: Part-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Property Manager
The Custodial/Sanitization staff aids all staff in providing a quality member/participant experience. This position is responsible for the cleanliness and sanitation of the areas assigned with a minimum level of supervision. Duties include, but are not limited to, mopping, dusting, window washing, event set up, general cleaning, and trash removal. Light maintenance duties may be assigned.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
· Ensures Y is sanitized and clean by completing all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintains upkeep of assigned area and equipment.
· Duties will include, but are not limited to, sanitization of surfaces, wet and dust mopping, dusting, trash removal, recycling, window washing, vacuuming, and general cleaning.
· Operates related motorized and non-motorized equipment.
· Records and reports all needed repairs to supervisor.
· Ensures YMCA building and property is secure during shift and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor. Knowledge of safety, risk management, and emergency procedures.
· Replaces soap, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and other supplies.
· Clean up of blood or body fluids which could contain bloodborne pathogens.
· Set up for events which include, but are not limited to, moving chairs and tables.
· Be able to communicate positively with members, guests, supervisor, and other staff.
· Work in a team concept.
· Basic understanding of the YMCA mission. Promotion of the YMCA Core Values: honesty, respect, caring, and responsibility.
· Follows all Fergus Falls YMCA policies and procedures.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Six months or more of related experience preferred.
· Ability to read and interpret instructions, procedures, manuals, and other documents.
· Ability to report and record maintenance requests.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment and safety related to the job.
· Basic understanding of the upkeep and care of equipment.
· Understanding of cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe, efficient use.
· CPR/First Aid/AED certification required within 60 days of hire.
· Ability to assist at various times of the workday as agreed upon with supervisor.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
· Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out essential duties. Must be able to move up to 50 pounds of project material and/or tools.
· Work with cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
· Ability to clean equipment/surfaces and operate motorized equipment as needed.
· Work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
· Ability to perform essential cleaning and sanitization to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi-reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; working in narrow and/or confining spaces; working in areas with noise or children; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs.
· Ability to report and record maintenance requests to supervisor.
The Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Welcome New Members: