Group Fitness Instructor
Job Title: Group Exercise Instructor
Job Status: Part Time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Health & Wellness Director
Under the direction of the Health & Wellness Director, the fitness instructor is responsible to teach group fitness classes and provide member service to all participants by following the YMCA philosophy. The fitness instructor shall communicate effectively and provide leadership in instructional areas in accordance with the YMCA policies while maintaining a safe and clean environment. He/she will follow the YMCA mission of developing a healthy spirit, mind and body for all and supporting the four core values.
1. Conduct safe and appropriate exercise classes following certified formats and guidelines.
2. Demonstrate and use equipment properly.
3. Instruct with enthusiasm and creativity and in accordance with the YMCA policies.
4. Encourage member involvement, build positive relationships with participants, and provide motivational support and guidance.
5. Arrive on time to perform assigned duties and be prepared for class.
6. Report any problems to the Health & Wellness Director.
7. Help maintain a neat, clean, and pleasant environment in the exercise studios.
8. Encourage and enforce a safe environment and proper exercise techniques.
9. Attend scheduled staff meetings and participate in appropriate workshops, continuing education, and mandatory trainings.
10.Stay current on fitness concepts and ideas through credible Health & Wellness sources.
11.Record accurate attendance for classes.
12.Commit to finding substitutes for classes and be willing to sub for other instructors as needed.
13.Utilize the microphone when teaching classes as appropriate.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. CPR, First Aid, AED, prior to employment or within 30 days of employment.
2. National certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification preferred.
3. Minimum 18 years of age.
4. Nationally recognized certification in specific area of instruction as needed. (Body Pump, Insanity, Yoga, etc)
5. Strong interpersonal communication skills required.
6. Must have the ability to work with all ages and skill levels.
7. Previous experience preferred.
1. Ability to lead classes and all activities related to the class including walking, standing, bending, lifting, reaching, etc.
2. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
GENERAL Y BUSINESS:
1. Participate as a team player.
2. Effectively communicate the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA to everyone.
3. Basic knowledge of all programs and their functions.
4. Must follow the policies, procedures, and guidelines set forth in the Employee Handbook and according to the Health & Wellness Director.
5. All other duties as assigned.
The Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Welcome New Members: