Health & Wellness Director
Job Title: Health & Wellness Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Type: Full-time
Reports to: Operations Director
Revision Date: 6/27/2023
The Health & Wellness Director will create, implement, manage, and model systems and practices that support extraordinary wellness experiences for our members and guests. An emphasis is on the member/participant and the satisfaction of their overall experience through group exercise, fitness facilities, and wellness programming. Building an innovative department that is cutting edge and ahead of national wellness trends is a priority. The Health and Wellness Director is also charged and expected to seek out opportunities to collaborate and support non-profit community partners.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become.We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality.We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world.We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential.We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Develop, implement, and monitor high quality, innovative wellness programs and group exercise and personal training offerings that meet the needs of our members, increase participation in healthy lifestyles, and reflect national trends.
- Assure effective communication of program offerings to the members and community in partnership with marketing.
- Establish and align collaborations with community partners.
- Assure the collection, monitoring, analysis, and reporting of data on the effectiveness of all wellness programs through program evaluations.
- Track, evaluate, and report wellness facility usage/participation in fitness center, group fitness classes, and wellness programs on a monthly basis
- Develop and monitor wellness budget in accordance with the association guidelines and practices and monitor on a monthly basis to ensure it meets targets and goals.
- Work within the program software to ensure programs and offerings are current and provide scheduling updates for the Y app.
- Work with the Finance department for all past due accounts.
- Maintain an active leadership role in Annual Giving Campaign.
- Equip a team, ensuring support and certification, as needed, for relevant classes to be taught.
- Maintain relevant certifications for classes that may require the director’s instruction.
- Have an intentional presence on fitness floor, ensuring high-quality facilities, environment, and relational development with members.
- Create and continually monitor systems that enable staff to successfully respond to the wants, needs, and interests of health seekers.
- Conduct daily walk-through to ensure that daily cleaning and upkeep is done in all wellness areas and develop systems to hold staff accountable for responsibilities.
- Actively recruit, hire, train, mentor, recognize, schedule, lead, supervise, and evaluate all Wellness Center Staff, Group Exercise Instructors, and Personal Trainers.
- Effectively communicate the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA to everyone.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of all programs and their functions.
- Participate in Y presentations, tours, and special event projects.
- Attend and participate in scheduled staff meetings and trainings. Participate in professional development opportunities, workshops, and conferences as requested by Director of Operations.
- Give leadership to Board Committees and/or other Ad-Hoc committees as needed.
- Ensure program information is tactfully displayed and always available according to
- Be present (on duty) when peak hours are being utilized by members/participants and act as a team player for all. Be willing to commit to early mornings, evenings, and weekends when programs and staffing require support.
- Foster an inclusive environment appreciative of differences in the workplace. Meaningfully participate in and lead efforts to support the Y’s commitment to equity and diversity.
- Values: Accept and demonstrate the Y’s values
- Community: Desire to serve others and fulfill community needs
- Inclusion: Work effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions
- Relationships: Build rapport and relate well with others
- Developing Others: Take the initiative to assist in developing others
- Decision-Making: Make sound judgments, and transfer learning from one situation to another
- Change Capacity: Demonstrate an openness to change, and seek opportunities in the change process
This position will supervise group exercise instructors, personal trainers, wellness attendants, and some volunteers.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum two years of experience in hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising staff.
- Minimum two year previous in the wellness field.
- Organization, planning, and general office/computer skills.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills and training/facilitation skills.
- Current national strength training/conditioning certification (ACSM, ACE, NSCA,
- NASM, or YMCA) or able to obtain within first 6 months of hire.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Must be flexible, have mental ability to make sound judgements, deal with stressful situations and customer concerns, and willing to work in a multi-discipline setting.
- CPR/AED, First Aid, Child Abuse Prevention, and Bloodborne Pathogens certifications (within 30 days of hire).
- Commitment of supporting principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action to achieve a diverse work environment.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
This job operates in an exercise area that includes workout machines, weights, treadmills, and other fitness products. The Director will have an office space that includes a desk, chair, computer, and basic office supplies. The Director will have access to other computer and office equipment in the building.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time exempt position. The Director will typically work weekdays but will be required to support staff and members during a-typical working hours including early mornings, evenings, and weekends. There may be times that hours are extended or shifted based on the needs of members, guests, and the branch.
Travel is not required for this position.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
The Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Welcome New Members: