Job Title: Sports Staff
Job Status: Part Time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Primary Department: Sports
Reports To: Sports & Rec Coordinator
Under the direction of the Sports & Rec Coordinator and in accordance with the goals and objectives of the Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA, a member of the Sports Staff is responsible for the health, safety, and welfare of each child/adult enrolled in the sports programs. The Sports Staff at the Fergus Falls YMCA creates a safe and positive environment that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintaining safe conditions in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Model, teach, and incorporate the YMCAs core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Interact with participants in a positive manner at all times and get to know members on a first name basis. Develop meaningful relationships with youth, adults, and other YMCA Staff.
- Provide customer service to fulfill the needs of the participants, coaches, parents, and volunteers as well as using teachable moments as often as possible during the course of the programming.
- Be responsible for safety of the participants and never leave a program unsupervised. Complete and turn in all accident/incident reports immediately to your supervisor.
- Set up and tear down the necessary sports equipment needed for the game while maintaining a clean and safe work site assisting the custodial staff as needed.
- Provide an encouraging, organized, and quality environment for coaches, participants, volunteers, and parents.
- Read, understand, and follow all rules, guidelines, and policies that have been developed for the YMCA league as well as enforce the rules using whistle and verbal communication.
- Provide direct supervision to program participants at all times and ensure a safe environment. If a hazardous situation occurs, he/she will act swiftly to correct the situation while demonstrating professionalism in executing tasks.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of emergency equipment.
- Attend all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Engaging Community
- Communication & Influence
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to run and/or walk jog to keep up with the play of the programs.
- Must be able to physically set up and tear down the necessary sports equipment needed for programs. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Work environment noise level may be loud.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a part time position. Hours will depend on the season and activity/ league running at that time.
- Minimum education enrolled in High School and working towards a diploma.
- Knowledge of the sport and basic understanding of the rules of the sport.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership and show enthusiasm on the court or field.
- Friendly, outgoing, and have a clear understanding of the YMCAs Mission Statement.
- Experience working with children and adults, participating in sports, and, preferably, officiating.
- CPR/AED/First Aid certification within 60 days of hire if not currently certified.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Welcome New Members: