Sports & Recreation Coordinator
Lead our sports & rec team and provide fun sports activities for the community!
Job Title: Sports and Recreation Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-exempt / Part-Time (approximately 20 hours/week; varies depending on seasonal
Reports to: Health and Wellness Director
Revision Date: 2/16/2023
The Sports and Recreation Coordinator supports both youth and adult sports and recreational
programing which may include assisting in developing, organizing, staffing, and implementing high
quality YMCA recreation programs. This position is part-time.
Supports all aspects of sports and recreational programming. This may include but is not limited to:
registration, communication, scheduling, staffing, referees, standings, and program evaluations.
- Provides high quality customer service to ensure a positive experience for participants.
- Trains, and oversees program staff/volunteers.
- May advise on trends in the sports and recreation fields
- Assists in evaluating current program offerings.
- Assists in developing and monitoring budget to meet fiscal goals.
- May assist in creating new programs that help move forward the Ys areas of focus:Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
- Collaborates occasionally with the directors and coordinators as part of the YMCA Leadership Team.
- Enforces YMCA policies, procedures, and the Y Code of Conduct.
- Spends at least 50% of their time in the programs.
- Assists in organizing facility volunteers.
1. Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working
relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
2. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other persons
point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
3. Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation
to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting
policies and procedures and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed
goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
4. Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal
feelings, strengths and limitations and how they affect relationships. Has the functional and technical
knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date
knowledge and skills in technology.
The Sports and Recreation Coordinator will oversee a range of YMCA staff and contract employees.
That range will depend on the season and what the demand of the department is.
The Sports and Recreation Coordinator will work between in an office setting -- with a desk, a
computer and office equipment -- and in the field supervising and assisting with sports and recreation
activities. This may include assisting with setting up fields, courts and gyms for appropriate
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, and/or move for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to bend, lift, and carry necessary equipment up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to kneel, squat, bend, twist, crouch, grasp, have finger and hand dexterity, hear, andhave visual acuity.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
The Sports and Recreation Coordinator will work a combination of mornings, afternoons, and
evenings, and during weekdays and weekends. The schedule will depend on needs of the Y activities
and programming. This position will be around 20 hours per week. However, that may vary based
upon seasonal programming.
The Sports and Recreation Coordinator will work and travel within Fergus Falls and the surrounding
communities on a regular basis. The Sports and Recreation Coordinator will need reliable
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in a sports, recreation, or similar field preferred (attained or in progress).
- Certifications: Basic CPR/AED and First Aid is required. Training can be provided upon hire. Higher levels of certification are accepted.
- Computer skills including proficiency (or ability to quickly learn) software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Office 365, and Outlook.
- Basic knowledge of sports & recreation programming.
- Must possess a valid drivers license, possess current vehicle insurance, and have a reliable vehicle.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience overseeing or participating in a variety of sports & recreational programming.
- Experience working with a budget.
- Marketing and communications experience preferred.
- Proficiency in using database and/or registration software systems.
- Referee and/or umpire experience preferred.
The Fergus Falls YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and
applicants for employment with regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or
genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This
policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Welcome New Members: