Job Title: Swim Instructor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Part-time
Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF SWIM INSTRUCTOR
- Instructs swimming lessons, having prepared lesson plans accordingly. Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers. Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Opportunity for teaching private swim lessons is available upon availability.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Certified in CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid, and Red Cross WSI or equivalent.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- At least 16 years of age.
- Lifeguard certification
- One (1) year experience working with youth
This position will not have any supervisory roles.
This position operates in and around a pool area. Sometimes the floor will be slippery or the working environment will seem humid.
Travel is not required for this position.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a part time position. The pool is open seven days a week and hours will depend on the requirements of the aquatics department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to lift a person off the bottom and out of the water.
- Perform all skills required for Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED certifications.
- Comfortable in the water.
- While performing duties of this job, employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to handle, or feel; reach with arms and hands. Employee must be able to talk, taste, smell and see (both near and far). Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
The Fergus Falls Area Family YMCA (the Y) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Y complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absences, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Welcome New Members: